We did a return visit to Fort Casper to see if any improvements have been made since our last visit in June 2010. None that we could see. The mission of the Fort established in 1862 was to protect the Overland Mail Company personnel and property against raiding Indians. It was abandoned in 1867. The site was originally a trading post occupied in 1859 by Louis Guinard who built a bridge across the Platte River.
|Map of Fort|