Our blog is to keep family and friends informed of our motorhome journeys.
We have dreamed of this for many years and finally our dream has come true.
We are looking forward to many happy miles ahead.
One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. Henry Miller.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Last Days in Maine

27-May 2018

Our last days in Maine and a drive to Augusta, Machias and Eastport to visit fort sites.

State Capitol ME


Our first stop was Old Fort Western on the Kennebec River in Augusta, the Capitol of Maine. When we were last here in 2013, it was closed. The fort was established in 1754 during the French and Indian War. In 1769 it was converted to a trading post.





Trading Post & Housing
Magazine



Dining Hall

Goods Store

Store

Office






Blockhouse

Blockhouse



View of Waterfront in Augusta

During the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) Colonel Benedict Arnold staged his Canadian expedition from here.The main building has been restored and the two blockhouses and magazine remain.

28 May 2018

Today we traveled east to Machias and Eastport. Our first stop took us to Fort O'Brien (1775-1781,1808-1818,1863-1865) located on Machias Bay near the towns of Bucks Harbor and Machiasport. It was built in anticipation of a retaliatory British Raid for the Patriot capture of the British ship, Margaretta.

Fort O'Brien





It was rebuilt in 1808 as a Second System fort with a blockhouse and battery mounting 4 heavy guns.

During the war of 1812 some 900 British troops seized the fort and burned it carrying off the armament.

During the Civil War it was rebuilt including a150 ft earthworks battery and armed with three 32 pounder bore cannons and two 24 pounder rifled cannons. None of the structures or guns remain except for a small cannon replica.

The view of the bay is spectacular.

Machias Bay


We then drove to Eastport to find the site of Fort Sullivan..no remains except for a stone magazine enclosed by a fence.


 Eastport is a charming town and the least populous city in Maine. The city consists of islands with the principal island Moose Island. For 10,000 years the Passamaquoddy called this area home.In 1833 it was the second largest trading port in the country.The first sardine factory was built here in 1875 and by 1886 the town had 13 sardine factories employing 800 men, women and children producing 5,000 cases per week.In 1976 the "Goundhog Day Gale" destroyed many waterfront structures. Fishing is still a major industry as well as touism.








 The day was growing late so on our way back we stopped for ice cream and a quick dinner at a local diner in Hermon.

Tomorrow we depart for St John New Brunswick for 2 nights at Rockwood Campground. Our 2nd stay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment