Today a beautiful day so we decided to drive to Fort Rucker near Dothan, AL and Fort Gaines ,GA to visit sites. It ended up being a 300 mile roundtrip day which is somewhat routine for us on our day trips. This is why the Malibu has over 208,000 miles.
Fort Rucker is northwest of Dothan, AL and is a US Army post and home to the 110th Aviation Brigade and 23rd Training Squadron opened in 1942 known as Camp Rucker. It is primarily a helicopter training base. During WWII the post provided training for Army Infantry combat troops. Toward the end of the war it housed German and Italian POW's. During the Korean War the post was reactivated. During the Cold War the US Army School of Aviation was activated and the name changed from Camp Rucker to Fort Rucker.
Located on the Base is the US Army Aviation Museum with a collection of over 160 military craft and helicopters. The helicopter displays is the largest in the world. Below are some of the helicopter craft on display. I did not attempt to name them. There is also a slab of the Berlin Wall.
|Slab of Berlin Wall|
After a stop in Dothan for lunch at McAllister's and Camping World, we passed thru the town of Abbeville enroute to Fort Gaines, GA. Got a picture of the Henry County Courthouse and plaque. A county older than the state and named for Patrick Henry. The land was ceded by the Creek tribe.
Continuing on our drive to Fort Gaines via Hwy 10 and 37 as you cross the Chattahoochee River take the first left turn to view the Fort Gaines Blockhouse and Pioneer Park. Also located in the park are old pioneer cabins brought to the site of the fort.
|Newt Engram Cabin|
Fort Gaines was founded in 1815 as a frontier fort and built as a result of the Treaty of Fort Jackson between the Creek Nation and the US transferring 24,000,000 acres of Native American land to the US. Three different forts would stand on this land over the next 50 years. The second fort was built in 1836 during the Creek War of the day. The last of the forts was built during the Civil War by the Confederates. One of the original cannons still remain.
|Civil War Cannon|
We noticed a sign on the highway for Kolomoki Mounds HP in the town of Blakely just 15 miles from Fort Gaines, so decided to drive there. The day was getting shorter, so we did not hike any of the mounds, but did manage to get some photos. This is one of the larger mound sites in the Southeast containing seven earthen mounds. There is the great temple mound, two burial mounds and four ceremonial mounds build between 250-950 AD by the Swift Creek and Weeden Island indians.
The park offers camping, fishing, boating, hiking trails and many other activities. Wish we had had longer to explore.
It was a good day.