Today will probably be our last outing before departing to Pensacola on the 2nd as rain, freezing temps and wind predicted over the weekend. So we decided to drive over to New Orleans on the eastside to visit Fort St John and Chalmette Battleground.
Fort St John was first established by the French in 1701 later the Spanish in 1763 and finally garrisoned by the Americans in 1804 during the war of 1812. It was sold in 1823 and the ruins are in a what is now a park area by a canal and across from some very majestic homes in the Arabi district of New Orleans. Only a marker and some stone remains are visible.
We then went to Chalmette Battlefield on the fringe of the French Quarter in the Chalmetter area of New Orleans.
This is the site of the last battle of the War of 1812 marking General Andrew Jackson's victory over the British in 1815 making it the greatest land victory of the War of 1812. Even though the Treaty of Ghent in 1814 ended the war, it was not signed by the US until February 1815. This battle is known as "the Battle of New Orleans". The battle lasted less than 2 hours with more than 2,000 British troops wounded, killed or taken prisioner including Maj Gen Sir Edward Pakenham who commanded the British troops who was killed during the battle. Within days of the battle, the British withdrew. American casualties numbered less than 20.
|Under a Huge Live Oak|
The Chalmette Monument was completed in 1908 honoring the American Victory. The cornerstone was laid in 1840 after Andrew Jackson visited the site.
The Malus-Beauregard House was built 20 years after the battle named for its first and last owners.
The Chalmette National Cemetery was established in 1864 as a final resting place for Union Soldiers who died in Louisiana during the Civil War. The Cemetery also contains remains of veterans of Spanish American, WWI,WWII and Vietnam.
Adjacent to the Cemetery is the Freedman's Cemetery; however no markers or remains exist.
After the battle a thriving free African Community was developed. Unfortunately, they were forced off the land and all the buildings were destroyed when the land was given to the park service. The community was known as Fazendeville and established in 1867. It was located on land that is now part of the Battlefield. Jean Pierre Fazende, a free man of color had inherited the land in 1857. It eventually grew to more than 200 former slaves from surrounding plantations. It was still a thriving community in the 1960's when they were forced out and relocated to the 9th ward of New Orleans. All buildings were destroyed. What a shame.