Visits to Forts Dickerson and Higley, 2 of 16 Federal Forts protecting Knoxville during the Civil War.
Fort Dickerson is a rare example of a surviving Civil War earthworks and fortification. The fort was established in 1863 with 25 gun platforms and withstanding the Confederate siege of Knoxville. The fort was abandoned at the end of the war in 1865. The Confederate assault on the fort was cancelled due to the terrain and artillery of the Union.
|3-Inch Ordnance Rifle|
|View From Fort|
Fort Higley served as the western anchor of the Federal line protecting the city of Knoxville from Confederate troops stationed in Cherokee HGTS. Only earthworks and markers remain on the trail in High Ground Park, a very nice park established in 2013 on the site of Fort Higley.
|Fort Higley Signage|
|High Ground Park|
|Map of Park & Fort Walking Trail|
|Relaxation Area at Trail Loop|