A lull in the wind, so we decided to do a walking tour of Historic Fort Bliss which is about 4 miles. John printed a guide of the tour, but we were unable to locate a map which would have made it easier. Also, plaques at each of the buildings would have been helpful, but still it is an interesting walk that takes you back to the construction in 1893 of the present location. Many of the original buildings and housing are still in use having been repurposed.
Parking at the Noel Parade Ground, we started our walking tour with a stop at the two story-tile roofed Field Grade Officer's quarters built in 1934.
Across the field are the three story, tile roofed, stucco "Horse Cavalry Enlisted Men's Barracks" built in 1934. They were designed to house 254 men.
|Panorama of Cavalry Barracks|
Adjacent to this are the brick stables which are now used as offices. Next to these are the U-shaped red brick buildings built in 1919 as 92 man barracks that housed the 7th Cavalry Regiment and 1st Cavalry Division. Today the Center Chaplain's office and other offices are located here.
|U-Shaped Calvalry Barracks-1919|
Memorial Circle was dedicated in 1948 on the occasion of Fort Bliss' Centennial Celebration. This is a site of frequent post ceremonies, such as the 50-gun salute to the Nation on the 4th of July.
On Sheridan Road you pass Officer's Quarters and the residence of the Commanding General built in 1934. The Victorian house next to the Pershing House were built in 1893 as officer's quarters. Currently senior officers and their families live in them. The Pershing House was built in 1910 as the commanding officer's quarters.Pershing lived here from 1914 to 1916. In recent years the commanding generals for the 32nd Army Air and Missile Defense Command have lived here.
|Commanding General Quarters|
|Victorian Officier Quarters-1893|
Sage Hall built in 1938 was formerly a "War Department Theater" and now a chapel.
Further down Sheridan Road on the corner of Cassidy is the 1893 Guardhouse. The group of stone buildings across Cassidy built between 1893 and 1908 housed the Quartermaster Stables and Wagon and Wheelwright Shops. From 1930's to early 1980's they were used by the post veterinarian.
After the walking tour, we drove to the Exchange and Food Court for lunch and shopping at the Commissary.