Our blog is to keep family and friends informed of our motorhome journeys.
We have dreamed of this for many years and finally our dream has come true.
We are looking forward to many happy miles ahead.
One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. Henry Miller.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Fort Assiniboine Havre, MT

7 August 2014

A long day involving a 3 hour drive to Havre, MT via Hwy 1 west to Hwy 41 south across the border and Hwy 231 to Fort Assiniboine.
Note: In Montana they spell with 2 n's, but in Canada with only 1. I choose the 1 n spelling.  We visited here last year in September, but it was pretty much closed. Through John's fortwiki site, Scott Siegel who is involved in the history of the fort agreed to give us a personal tour. Thank you Scott for a wonderful tour.
Scott in Front of Officer Housing


Fort Assinibione was established by act of congress in 1879 on Beaver Creek taking its name from the neighboring Assiniboine Tribe. It consisted of infantry and cavalry detachments to hold off the marauding Indians. It became one of four important forts guarding the border. General Pershing served here. The fort was almost abandoned when the 10th cavalry was ordered to Cuba in 1898.In 1911, President Taft abolished the fort. After the closure, portions became the agricultural station. Very few buildings remain.
Student's Scale Model

Signage at Entrance

Brief History Signage

Signage about Post Exchange

Post Exchange
Guardhouse


Signage about Officer's Club

Officer's Club

Officer Housing, Now Rentals

Turret Officer Housing


Officer Family Housing


John A Burns was born here in 1909. Mr Burns was the architect of Hawaii statehood and the governor from 1962-1970. He died in 1975.


African American soldiers who became named the"Buffalo Soldiers" by the Cheyenne, served at Fort Assiniboine in the 10th cavalry. They later fought in the Spanish American War in Cuba alongside the Rough Riders. One eyewitness recalled that had "it not been for the Negro Cavalry, the Rough Riders would have been exterminated."

Frontier capitalist C.A. Broadwater acquired the contract to build the fort. He hired 500 Metis to make bricks using a machine that could make up to 25,000 bricks a day. At one time there were over 100 buildings in the fort. He also ran the company store and other businesses until the army bought hime out in 1892.

No comments:

Post a Comment