Today we toured Fort Nisqually north of Tacoma. This was our 2nd visit the first in 2005. The fort was located in two previous areas in the town of Dupont south. They have done a good job in the restoration with 2 original buildings on site. The location overlooks the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Point Defiance Park, a beautiful wooded park off Hwy 163. www.fortnisqually.org
|Map Of Fort ca 1855|
|Inside the Fort|
|Tacoma Narrows Bridge|
|Men's Dwelling House Now Museum and Gift Shop|
The original fort trading post of the Hudson Bay Company was established on the Nisqually River in 1832. For the next 6 years, the Fort was an outpost of the fur trade. In the late 1830's as the fur trade declined, it became the headquarters for the Puget Sound Agricultural Company and was moved in the 1840's to more open land and fresh water. Today the fort in Point Defiance is a reproduction and only the Factor's House and Granary are the original buildings. The 2nd fort was closed in 1869. In the 1930's, the Dupont Company which owned the land donated the remaining buildings and the fort was reconstructed on the present land.
It has been open to the public since the 1940's and is operated by the Metropolitan Park District. There is a small admission fee.
It is open daily June,July and August and Wednesday-Sunday rest of year. Definitely worth a visit if in the area.
The Factor's House was constructed in 1855 for Dr. Tolmie and his family. The Granary was constructed in 1850 and is one the oldest standing buildings in the state. The other structures are rebuilt to original plans.
After touring the Fort we drove around McChord AFB to view the campground and small air museum. We decided our choice to stay at FT Lewis was better. We then drove to the FT LEWIS Military Museum which is quite impressive with a huge collection dating from the Civil War to present. The museum is housed in what was originally The Red Shield Inn built by the Salvation Army in 1917 to provide rooms for visitors to the post. It also offered a music room, reading room and dining room. Many social functions took place here. It later became the Fort Lewis Inn in 1927. In 1973 it became home to the Museum.
|Ft Lewis Military Museum|
|Red Shield Inn 1917|
|Relocated Main Gate|
|C-17 Globemaster in for Landing|
|Map Showing Locations of Forts in WA|
|Coastal Defense Sites in WA|
We then drove on post to see the 91st Division Monument dedicated in 1930 and facing the parade ground with a view of Mt Ranier.
|Ft Lewis Chapel|
|Mt Ranier and Parade Ground|
|91st Division Monument|
Tomorrow we leave for Whidbey Island NAS, just a short 3 hour drive up IH 5 and over on HWY 20.