Today we drove the southend of the Island to Clinton for the ferry over to Mukliteo and then down IH 5 and over via the Magnolia neighborhood to Discovery Park, the site of Fort Lawton. The area northwest of Seattle overlooks Puget Sound. The fort was constructed in the late 1890's. In 1973 most of the property was given to the city of Seattle and dedicated as Discovery Park.
Prior to WWII it was a quiet outpost. During WWII it was the second largest port of embarkation of soldiers and materials to the Pacific Theatre. It was officially closed in 2011. The purpose of the fort was to defend Puget Sound from Naval attack. During WWII it was also used as a POW camp for Germans and Italians. During the Korean War troops heading to or returning were processed. In the late 1950's Nike missiles and AF radars were in use. Many of the buildings including the barracks and homes were destroyed. The remaining officer's housing is occupied by private citizens and up for sale.
|Troop on Parage 1907|
|Cavalry on Parade|
|Now an FAA Radar Site|
|Beach at West Point Lighthouse Stilshole Bay|
|View of Bay from Parade Ground|
|West Point Lighthouse|
|Former Officer's Quarters..now Private Housing|
|Post Exchange & Gym|
|Civilian Employee House|
Discovery Park offers many trails for hiking and biking, beach and picnic areas and Indian Cultural Center visitation. I found another heart shaped rock on the beach. Also spotted a cute black rabbit. Think he was dropped off. There are signs in the park warning people not to leave their rabbits in the park..obviously ignored. Would like to think he has a better home now. Driftwood had some interesting designs.
|Discovery Park Map|
|Heart Shaped Rock|
|Rhododendrons by Chapel|
On the way back to the ferry, we passed the enormous Boeing Plant located in Mukliteo that offers tours.The tour which takes 90 minutes is available on a daily basis and no photos. You can see airplanes being built as well as design your own. We may try to do this before we depart on the 1st. www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/tours/index.page
Aboard the ferry got a good picture of the Mukliteo Lighthouse which guides ships on their way to Everett, Possession Sound and Saratogo Passage. Mukliteo is the Indian word for "good place for camping" which they did in the winter. The light was lit for the first time 1 March 1906. The Lighthouse has two Fresnel lenses. The lens and fog signal were automated in 1979.
|On the Ferry Back to Clinton|
Stopped in Coupeville for ice cream..delish.
Tomorrow is a down day. Park will be full this weekend.