Fort Lennox is located on the Ile aux Noix, an island in the middle of the River Richelieu in the town of Saint Paul and reached by ferry from the Park visitor center. The fort features restored defense works and stonework buildings surrounded by a star shaped moat.
|Fort Lennox Plaque|
|Ferry to Ile|
|Model of Fort Lennox|
It was built by the British between 1819 and 1829 to protect the colony from possible American invasion. There was an earlier fort built on the site by the French during the Seven Years War. In 1775 the Americans occupied the island. When they retreated, the British built the present fort.
|Interior of Magazine|
Over the years the fort has served as a prison, reform school and refugee camp. It is one of few forts in North America to have survived intact.
They also have a very nice museum.
|Duty Officer Quarter|
For more info go to John's site:
fortwiki.com under Quebec