Our blog is to keep family and friends informed of our motorhome journeys.
We have dreamed of this for many years and finally our dream has come true.
We are looking forward to many happy miles ahead.
One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. Henry Miller.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort

31 January 2013

This is the place where Las Vegas began in 1855. A spring fed creek  flowed through the valley which attracted Paiute, traders,emigrants and gold seekers traveling to California on the Old Spanish Trail. Las Vegas means meadows.

In 1855, William Bringhurst and 29 fellow Mormons from Utah arrived and built a 150 foot  adobe fort serving as a way station. Lead was discovered and proved unsuccessful. In 1857 the fort was abandoned due to dissension among the two leaders. In 1865 Octavius Gass bought the site and developed a large scale ranch. It was later passed on to the Stewart family due to default and in 1884 the patriarch was killed in a gun fight leaving the property to his widow who continued to operate the ranch until 1902 when sold to the San Pedro,Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad.
It was in 1905 that a new town known as Las Vegas sprang up.
Plaque for Fort

Remains of Fort

First Flag Flown Over Las Vegas in 1855

One of Adobe Structures

Another View of Fort

Visitor Center

Helen Stewart is known as the first lady of Las Vegas and passed in 1924.
She sold the property to the railroad .
Bronze of Helen Stewart

The fort sits at the corner of Las Vegas and Washington Blvds. The visitor center has some interesting exhibits and film. Admission is only $1.00.

Recommend this as a tourist stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment