After visiting Fort Niagara we drove over to Fort George in Niagara on Lake, Ontario the first capital of Upper Canada. The drive took us along the Niagara River passing several wineries, farm stands and beautiful homes.
During the war of 1812 the fort was virtually destroyed by the American forces across the river and captured by the Americans. It was retaken that year by the British. After the war it was abandoned and fell into ruin until 1930's when restoration began.
|Map of the Fort|
It was an impressive structure with six massive earthen and log bastions surrounded by a dry ditch. The reconstructed buildings inside the fort include a guardhouse,barrracks,storage depot,kitchen and officer's quarters. The stone powder magazine is the oldest original military building in Ontario.
|Another View of Blockhouses|
The Niagara River was a vital water transportation route between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and the scene of many battles.