Our visit today was for the purpose of touring Madison Barracks and the Sackets Harbor 1812 Battlefield. The town is off Hwy 3 just a few miles from the campground.
|Union Hotel Now a Discovery Museum|
|Marker for Hotel|
|Lt's House Navy Yard 1847|
|Sackets Harbor 1812 Battlefield|
|Commandant's House 1847|
|Civil War Cannons Shipped to Navy Yard|
|DAR Monument to those lost on the Battlefield in 1812|
Madison Barracks named after James Madison was built after the conclusion of the war of 1812 to house over 600 troops. It was closed in 1852-1861 then reopened as a training post for recruits. A fire in 1879 destroyed many of the buildings. During later years more buildings added making it a major field artillery garrison post. Previously on this site stood during the war of 1812 was Fort Tompkins. It is now a private community of homes, condos and apartments. Many of the original buildings are in need of restoration. The army closed the barracks in 1947 and personnel moved to Fort Drum,NY home to the 10th Mountain Division.
John's Dad was stationed at Fort Drum during the early 1930's. At that time it was called Pine Camp.
|Sgt Jack Stanton 1932 Pine Camp,NY|
|Guardhouse Madison Barracks|
|Marker About Tower|
|Theater,Headquarters and Gym|